Clipping:The new Olympic grounds

From Protoball
Jump to: navigation, search

Add a Clipping
Date Sunday, May 29, 1864

The new Olympic ballgrounds, situated on the corner of Jefferson and Twenty-fifth street, adjoining the Reservoir, Philadelphia, were duly inaugurated on Wednesday last...


The clubhouse is decidedly an ornamental feature, and prominently indicates the fact of the Olympic Club being the pioneer ball-playing organization of the State, if not of the whole country, as the inscription over the entrance, viz: “The Olympic, 1833", plainly shows. Although three clubs–the Olympic, Athletic, and Mercantile–occupy the grounds, we have no doubt that within a year or so other permanent grounds will be laid out in the city which will be occupied by one prominent club, and one or two others, who play mainly for exercise, as it is certainly not advisable for rival organizations to occupy the same locality, and hence we shall expect to see the Athletics priding themselves on the possession of a fine ground and clubhouse, and the Keystones another. New York Sunday Mercury May 29, 1864

For the first time in the annals of the game in Philadelphia, the base ball players have possession of a permanent field of operations, specially prepared for and devoted to the game of base ball, and a truly fine ground it is. For this the Philadelphians are indebted to the Olympic Club of that city, the oldest ball playing organization in the country, for they not only secured a long lease of the ground from the city authorities, and prepared the same for use, but also allowed the Athletic and Mercantile Clubs the privilege of practicing on them twice a week. In view of the fact that the former was a rival organization, their course of action merits praise. New York Clipper June 4, 1864

Source New York Sunday Mercury
Submitted by Richard Hershberger
Origin Initial Hershberger Clippings


You are not allowed to post comments.

Personal tools