Franklins Club of Detroit
|Add a Ballgame|
|Add a Predecessor Game|
|Add a Field|
|Add a Club|
|Add a Player|
|Add a Game Official|
|Base Ball Firsts|
|Add a Base Ball First|
|Waff's Game Tabulation|
|Bob Tholkes RIM Tabulation|
|Earliest Known Date||August 1857|
|Last Known Game|
|Location||Detroit, MI, United States|
What Peter Morris estimates as possibly the first club west of NYC/NJ was established in Detroit Michigan in the summer of 1857. The club, comprising mostly printers from the Detroit Free Press, was later named the Franklins. Peter writes that the club "was formed by frequenters of the Congress Hall Saloon."
The club may have adjusted to the Knickerbocker rules in steps: Games played on August 15, 1857, were played to 75 and 40 run limits, and a week later 10-player teams squared off. However, published accounts for 1858 make clear that National Association rules were in force.
Detroit's population in 1860 was about 45,500, and it was the 19th largest city in the US.
The club apparently folded in 1858.
|Has Source On Hand|
|Comment||Edit with form to add a comment|
|Query||Edit with form to add a query|
|Found by||Peter Morris|
|First in Location||Detroit, MI|
|First in Location Note|
|Entry Origin Url|
|Local-Origin Study Groups|
|Has Supplemental Text|
No games have been posted for this Club yet.
No players have been associated with this Club yet.
<comments voting="Plus" />